I’ve had a look at this wine a couple of times now, both in Spain and here, and I’d have to rate it as one of my favorite of the year. It’s a bit of a hedonistic wine, very seductive and enjoyable, even quite sexy. If you’ve had a look at Artadi’s Vinas de Gain or Pagos Viejos, you’ll find a family resemblance. This is really compelling garnarcha from Navarra, and to be honest I haven’t seen any this convincing from that region before.
In contrast to the Faustino from yesterday, there is this little number from just across the boarder in Navarra. It’s Viura again with a more Gen Y style (Fun and modern, not sure if it has an iPhone tho).
The spring pinks continue… I’m working on a few shots for the Canon Photo5 competition, in the process I’ve realised that I suck at taking pictures of anything but wine bottles or my cat. It’s not that bad, but it seems like it. Anyway, the wine. The chaps at Artazuri have lifted the packing up to the level of whats inside the bottle here. This is another wine that is now under screwcrap.
One of the things I love about wine is there is always different every vintage. I had a look of the 06 of the this a while ago and it was fresh and full of fruit. This 2007 is edition is similar, but it shows a green note that seems to be typical of most regions in northern Spain.
Looking for a cheap but good quality wine can be hard work, I don't envy the job of importers searching out their next $15 Tempranillo. Having sat at a table with 30 young Tempranillos in front of me, I know its a hard task. Sure, you find the odd treasure, but it can be difficult [...]
Rose style wines aren't just for summer when its 40 degrees and your sitting under a tree eating a dodgy ham and cheese roll from a picnic hamper. I like to drink rose all year round and it is a perfect match for so many foods. One of the key things with rose for me [...]
A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think that rose (or rosado in Spanish) is possibly the most versatile food wine. In spring and summer it goes with just about anything, especially seafood and spicy dishes. And it is almost always under $20. Gran Feudo is an old favorite, its dirt cheap [...]
A blend of the indginous Tempranillo (80%) and the French Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot (the remaining 20%) . I find these blends a bit hit and miss at times, the Cabernet seems to dominate and can add some green/herbal characters that seem out of place in such a wine. Not so with this one, it [...]